Search This Blog

Monday, November 30, 2009


So as a progressive member of today's youth, I find that I am one of many to say "no" to cable television. This is because of course there are 500 channels on digital cable today of which I am familiar with about 12, and the chances of something worth while being on is close to 0%. So why would I pay $50 a month to find that out?
But I do believe that the one thing anyone familiar with television can agree on, is that the most annoying aspect about watching television today is... commercials. The good shows don't have them, like programs on HBO or Shotime. But these broadcasts are not completely devoid of ads at all, but rely more on a (sometimes) subtle product placement- far preferable to a 45 second ad for hemmorhoid creme.
Back on the subject of the television rebellion, I opt against cable but I do maintain a strong, quick internet connection to watch whatever my heart desires, my choice and commercial free. Almost.
While attempting to watch the newest "Dexter" I ran into the problem that my browser was not loading fast enough. I would wait and wait and only be able to watch about 30 seconds at a time before having to stop and reload. This didn't bother me so much (I was making dinner at the time, and able to focus on something other than the loading screen), but what got to me were the apparantly impossible-to-escape commercials. Not just that these commercials were present, but the fact that they were completely loaded and ready to play perfectly in an instant, while the show I actually wanted to watch took about 45 minutes. So this episode of South Park is taking forever, but that ad for Mitsubishi was fast and loaded immediately?! How they do it, I don't know, but for future reference, Hulu and TV-Dome, contact Trojan condoms to see what kind of connection they're using, because they are blowing you out of the water.
Well I don't, but I do make sure I have a strong and fast internet connection at all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment