Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

It just gets easier and easier


Not unlike millions of other consumers, I love Amazon.com. I can find anything and everything I ever wanted, or didn't know I wanted or didn't even know existed at the click of my mouse. Food, clothing, books, electronics, we all know that amazon's got it. For me, I love the camping stuff. They sold me my first air mattress- how could I not fall in love?
I, also not unlike millions of others, have a rather strong spending addiction. I want exactly what it is I don't have, and I usually have just about everything. Because of future plans, I decided I needed to stop buying so much shit. I have done so successfully, although not without falling back into old habits. But I did, however determine that since my consumption has decreased significantly, I would do the unimaginable- save my credit card information on a retailer's website. After a brief contemplation between websites including Top Shop, Etsy and others, I declared that there is no other website worthy of having my info. Amazon, you had me at "Here are some suggestions for you". Ahhh.
So assuming that I was on top of the shoppers wagon, I programmed in my payment information, ready to shop readily- and responsibly- on my favorite page. That was until I noticed something only a few scrolls down.
What I saw shocked and appalled me. Well, not really but it was certainly worth a second glance. Apparently programming your information into one website is SO LAST YEAR! Now, consumers can choose a convenient "Payphrase" which not only eliminates credit card typing at all, but encourages spending more than a sample sale. This phenomenon of "payphrases" allow the consumer to pick a catch phrase (for me, Amazon recommended "Em's Glorious Consciousness) that can be used not only on the one website, but thousands of others across the web. By simply typing in your personal "Payphrase", that validates you identity, your bank account and your money. How simple?!
For anyone who has been hidden under a rock for the past 8 years, identity theft couldn't be higher. It goes without saying that it is certainly easier for a hacker to catch onto a "payphrase" to make purchases than to go through all that trouble to find credit cards numbers, etc.
I think my "payphrase" will be "Account overdrawn, acceptance denied".

No comments:

Post a Comment